To promote an accessible built environment, BCA has launched Accessibility Fund that provides grants to building owners for upgrading their existing buildings with essential accessibility features. The Accessibility Fund is only for private buildings built before the implementation of Code on Barrier- Free Accessibility in Buildings-1990. Building owners, lessors who have the ownership right to upgrade the building and lessees who can carry out the upgrading works with the endorsement of the building owners/lessors are eligible to apply for this fund. Each development is eligible for up to two applications and could obtain grant up to S$300,000 per development. The fund will expire in 2021.
The fund would co-pay up to 80% of the construction cost of the Basic Accessibility Features cited below:
• Accessible approach to building
• Ramps/lifts for improving accessibility in building’s first storey
• Accessible toilet in building’s first storey or entrance level
• Signage for finding a way to building’s accessibility features
The fund could provide grants up to 80% of the construction cost of a passenger lift (constructed in accordance with the SS 550) for buildings which provide accessibility between floors. The grant amount per lift is capped at S$200,000.
The fund could also provide grants up to 60% of the construction cost of additional accessible toilets, accessible ramps; and Family Friendly Features cited below:
• Accessible Family washroom
• Water closet compartment for ambulant disabled and elderly
• Lactation room
• Child-friendly water closets, urinals and wash basins
• Diaper changing stations
• Hearing enhancement systems
• Braille and tactile features.
Criteria For Funding
• Each building is allowed up to two applications.
• ‘Building’ refers to the premises including all facilities and building(s) for which the Funding is sought and must not be individual dwelling units. For residential building, the Fund only applies to the communal area.
• The total fund amount for a building is capped at S$300,000.
• Buildings undergoing major Additions and Alterations, which have to comply with the prevailing code, are not eligible.
• Applicants must comply with all regulatory requirements for the upgrading works.
• The Fund only covers the cost of construction works for the accessible features. It excludes the cost related to consultancy and plan submission fees.
• The Government, any public authority, or any organisation performing a public function, is not allowed to apply for the Funding.
Building owners or lessors who have the ownership right to upgrade the building; as well as lessees who can carry out the upgrading works with the endorsement of the building owners/lessors are eligible to apply for the Fund.